Original Hardcover. Good condition with only external wear.
- Work-Life Balance: Erfolgversprechende Konzepte und Instrumente für Extremjobber (German Edition).
- Information War: American Propaganda, Free Speech and Opinion Control Since 9-11 (Open Media Series).
- Easy Dinner Recipes Cookbook – Sixty Quick & Easy Recipes For One Or Two Vol - 1 (Easy Dinner Recipes Cookbook – Sixty Quick & Easy Recipes For One Or Two).
- Anti-Achitophel (1682)Three Verse Replies to Absalom and Achitophel by John Dryden?
- A compact rhyming dictionary.
- Absalom and Achitophel by Dryden | Penny's poetry pages Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia.
- AD ASTRA 006 Heftausgabe: Das Geheimnis der Unsterblichen (eBook AD ASTRA Heftausgabe) (German Edition);
John Dryden was the greatest English poet of the seventeenth century. This volume includes a biographical introduction, his texts and notes. Sprache: english. Seller Inventory AB. Published by H.
About This Item
Early Edition. Shelved in Netdesk office, Ephemera Box I. Shelved Rockville Bookstore. Continue shopping. John Dryden was born on the 19th August in the village rectory of Aldwincle near Thrapston in Northamptonshire. Over the course of his career he made an immense contribution to literary life, so much so that the Restoration Age is also known as the Age Of Dryden.
He was educated at Westminster and Trinity College Cambridge. In he graduated from Trinity but a short while later his Father died leaving him a little land and with it an income but unfortunately not enough to live on. He returned to London during the Protectorate and at Cromwell's funeral on November 23rd he walked in a procession with the Puritan Poets.
That same year he published his first major poem, Heroique Stanzas , a restrained eulogy on Cromwell's death. In he celebrated the Restoration of the monarchy and the return of Charles II with Astraea Redux, an authentic royalist panegyric. Amazon Drive Cloud storage from Amazon.
Alexa Actionable Analytics for the Web. Sell on Amazon Start a Selling Account. AmazonGlobal Ship Orders Internationally. Amazon Inspire Digital Educational Resources.
Amazon Rapids Fun stories for kids on the go. ComiXology Thousands of Digital Comics. DPReview Digital Photography.
East Dane Designer Men's Fashion. Shopbop Designer Fashion Brands.
Anti-Achitophel (1682) Three Verse Replies to Absalom and Achitophel by John Dryden
Deals and Shenanigans. Ring Smart Home Security Systems. He had had a number of mistresses and produced a number of illegitimate children.
- Grenzen & Nutzen des interkulturellen Transfers von Humor: Eine kleine Analyse gesellschaftlicher Humorstrategien aus transkultureller Perspektive anhand des Beispiels Borat (German Edition)?
- Buy for others!
- Top 100 & More Free Audio Books and eBooks.
- Unofficial Olympic Guidebook - Biathlon.
- Account Options?
One of these was James Scott , the Duke of Monmouth , who was very popular, both for his personal charisma and his fervor for the Protestant cause. Charles had no legitimate heirs, and his brother, the future James II of England was suspected of being a Roman Catholic. When Charles's health suffered, there was a panic in the House of Commons over the potential for the nation being ruled by a Roman Catholic king.
Samuel Pordage - Wikisource, the free online library
The Earl of Shaftesbury had sponsored and advocated the Exclusion Bill, but this bill was blocked by the House of Lords on two occasions. Monmouth was caught preparing to rebel and seek the throne, and Shaftesbury was suspected of fostering this rebellion. The poem was written, possibly at Charles's behest, and published in early November of On November 24, , Shaftesbury was seized and charged with high treason. A trial before a jury picked by Whig sheriffs acquitted him.
Later, after the death of his father and unwilling to see his uncle James II become King, the Duke of Monmouth executed his plans and went into full revolt. The Monmouth Rebellion was put down, and in the Duke was executed. Dryden's poem tells the story of the first foment by making Monmouth into Absalom , the beloved boy, Charles into David who also had some philandering , and Shaftesbury into Achitophel.